Monday 16 November 2015

Week 2

Some thoughts I've had during week 2:


Writing for a deadline is hard.

The words will flow organically when there's no pressure. When a deadline's involved? Nope. They just don't come.


Writing for the sake of writing? Also hard.

I know I spoke on this last week.. See, a lot of writing a first draft under pressure involves getting the words out. It doesn't matter that wordy is generally considered bad; in this draft, the wordier, the better because you know you can edit later.

I loathe leaving a scene messy and poorly written, but going back to edit uses up precious time I could be spending on writing. The struggle is real.


Research your subject in advance.

Honestly, the biggest lesson I'm taking away from this exercise is doing the necessary research before the writing begins. The main character within the work is a cellist. I believed I knew a decent amount on the instrument but the amount of research I've found myself doing disproves that. Half the time, I write on it without much confidence. At least I can go back and edit later.


Word Count: 18,135/25,000

I'm still behind, but I'm still confident I can catch up. Even with my addiction to editing.

Happy Monday, everybody! Here's to another week of steady writing!

Lia

1 comment:

  1. I hate leaving a scene messy, too. My only consolation is that I leave notes in the margins of what I want and have to look up and then I move on.
    Deadlines take away my enjoyment, I find, so I avoid them especially when writing or drawing is involved. That might be why I haven't even come close to finishing any novels for my series XD

    ReplyDelete