Wednesday 25 November 2015

Home Stretch

These last few days have been really intense. Charged with pressure and anxiety, I've found myself writing more on a daily basis than I ever have. I'm happy to report that I'm finally completely on track with the word count, and have updated my page over on the official NaNoWriMo website with a Novel Synopsis as well as a small excerpt which you can view here! (Yes, my username is Poseuree!)

This has been one of the most gratifying writing experiences I've ever had to face. What I realized participating in NaNoWriMo is that it really helps with tightening your writing. If you're anything like me, and you know you can be overly wordy in your writing, then keeping a novel to just 50,000 words can actually be a challenge on its own! Especially when you know you can't afford to waste time editing as you go. In keeping it to 50,000 words, you have to make sure every scene you use is important and truly drives the story forward.

Though it isn't officially last day of the competition, my school schedule will be extra-hectic over the next week. So, I wanted to touch base one last time before the 30th, and provide a list of what this challenge has done for me:

1. Provided a new sense of focus.
Sometimes it's easy to get lost in our insecurities as writers. With an end point in sight, I found it easier to write without second-guessing myself (too much).

2. Taught me to write more critically.
As I mentioned earlier, this has always been a challenge for me, but NaNoWriMo really allowed me to practice this skill.

3. Write now, edit later.
There's something freeing when you finally allow yourself to stop worrying about editing in the moment.

4. Write what you love.
There's no way someone could get through 50,000 words in a short space of time unless they're writing about something that interests them. It's truly a shining example of how passion can motivate you toward success!

On another note, I've taken to posting about this project over on my Twitter! You can follow me here! (Hint: my username on there is "Poseure" as well! But with only one 'e' at the end.)

Good luck over the next five days everybody! We got this!

Word Count: 42,524/42,500 !!!

1 comment:

  1. I love how this project has given you more insight into your own writing, keep on working, I have all kinds of faith in you and your abilities!

    ReplyDelete